How to Treat Eye Strain Pain Naturally?: Eye pain and strain is a very common problem these days due to our lifestyle. Eye strain mainly occurs due to lack of sleep, allergies, eye vision problem, staring at computer screens and other digital devices. It is a very discomforting health condition. But most of the time it is not a serious problem. There are many eye drops and medicines to get relief from eye strain, but you can also Cure eye strain by natural home remedies, Exercise and Yoga.
The pain in the eye is known as Occipital Neuralgia syndrome. It may cause you pain in forehead, jaw or entire head. Many doctors and dentists aren’t able to recognize the source of this pain, so you must be aware of this common syndrome.
Symptoms of Pain and Stain in the Eye
Eyestrain itself describes as a group of symptoms which occur after extended use of the eyes. Other symptoms may include.
- Blur or double vision
- Feeling of dryness
- Jaw pain
- Redness in the eyes
- Irritation or itching in the eye
- Difficulty concentrating
- Watery eyes
- Increased sensitivity to light
- Pain in the neck, shoulder, and back.
Cause, why eye strain happen?
The eyestrain is known as asthenopia in medical term. Common causes for eye strain include.
- Looking at digital device screens like computer, TV, tablets etc.
- Reading for a long period of time without break.
- Exposure to bright light or glare
- Long Distance driving
- Reading in very dim light
- Dry eyes or uncorrected vision (refractive error)
- Being stressed
- Blink less while using computers
Natural Remedies Yoga & Exercise for Eye Pain and Strain Relief
- Eye Exercises for Pain & strain Relief
There are many eye exercise you can do to get rid of eye strain. Regular exercise helps to improve blood circulation to the eyes, make the eye muscles more relax, and improve focus and concentration. Try below eye exercise for quick relief.
- Close Your Eyes– Close Eyes as tightly as you can to help your eyes relax. Hold this position for 30 seconds, and then open your eyes. Try it three to five times to rest your eyes.
- After doing it for few times, again close your eyes very tightly but this time hold the pose for about a minute. You should focus on your breathing to help you relax faster.
- Another way to exercise is to hold a pen or pencil at an arm’s length at eye level and try focus on it. Slowly bring the pen or pencil closer to your eyes, as long as you can focus on it clearly. Then move pen or pencil back to away from your eyes. Try this eye exercise 10-15 times to fix your blur vision.
- Regular Sun Exposure
Sun exposure is a good way to prevent eye strain and relax your eyes. Also, sunlight will help your body to produce vitamin D, which is good for your overall health.
- This home remedy is very simple, you just need to stand in a sunny place. Close your eyes and let the sunlight fall on your eyelids. You will feel the warmth of the sun on your eyes then slowly move your eyes up and down, right to left and clockwise and counter-clockwise. Do this in the morning to avoid tanning of the skin.
- Wash your eyes with cold water
Washing your eyes with cold water is the best way to fix burning sensation in eyes. You can wash your eyes in the morning or evening, or whenever you feel strained eyes. Cold water has a soothing effect which helps your eyes to relax.
- Cucumber Slices
Cucumber Slices is a good way to get rid of eyestrain. It has astringent properties which help to relieve tired eyes. Cucumber slices also help to reduce dark circles around eyes. It will also reduce the pain due to blinking your eyes.
- Take a cucumber and cut into slices. Keep slices in refrigerator for 20 minutes to cool down. Put cool cucumber slices on your eyes to get relief from eyestrain. Do this remedy twice in a day.
- Apply a warm Compress
A warm compress is a good treatment to fix my eyestrain problem. This also helps to reduce redness and tiredness of the eyes.
- Take a clean washcloth or paper towel and dip in warm water but not too hot. Put the cloth on your eyes for 1 minutes and relax. Take breathe slowly to relax your eyes faster. Do warm compress twice in a day to stop eye strain.
- Palming to cure pain in one eye at home
The simplest home remedy for eye strain which is also described in yoga. Palming is very beneficial for strained eyes. Particularly while you are reading or spending too much time in front of your tablets, laptop, television screen or any other digital device. Palming helps to remove redness, dryness, and irritation in eyes.
- Rub your palms and make them warm. Close your eyes and put your palms over eyes. Imagine pitch black surroundings around you. Keep your palms for 30 seconds and then rub your palms again. You can perform this whenever you feel the strain in eyes during the day.
- Honey for Eye Strain Relief
Honey is one of the best natural remedies for eye problems like strain, redness, irritation, or burning sensation. It also helps to keep them sharp and healthy.
- Take pure honey and put one drop in each eye and relax for 2 to 3 minutes, rinse off later.
- Alternatively, you can use castor oil to get rid of eye strain.
- Rose Water
Another good way to relieve your eyes from strain and tiredness. It also helps to nourish the skin around the eyes as well as fade dark circles.
- Take 2 cotton balls and dip in the rose water. Close your eyes and put wet cotton balls over your eyes. Do this remedy twice daily or at least once before going to bed.
- Give your eyes a good Massage
Massaging eyes increase the blood circulation and help relax the muscles surrounding your eyes. It will also stimulate tear glands which help to cure dry eyes and fatigue.
- Close your eyes and gently massage your upper eyelids with your finger. You can also massage the area lying just above your eyebrows. Massage for 20-30 seconds 10 times. Repeat 2-3 times a day to reduce eye strain and tiredness.
- Trataka Yoga for Eye strain
One of the best yoga for eye strain, Pain, swollen and other eyes related problems. ‘Trataka’ means Yogic gazing which is basically, a practice for those who aspire to meditate. This yoga also helps to improve eyesight, concentration.
- First, stretch and hold your arm straight out in front of your face. Concentrate your vision on your thumbnail for few seconds. Now change the focus and fix it on the tip of your nose for few seconds. Again focus on the thumbnail and then the tip of your nose.
- Do this several times in a day to exercise to your eye muscles. Do this yoga for about 3-5 minutes, rest your eyes by palming method described in the previous remedy for eye strain.
- Blink more often and get rid of eye strain
If you sit in front of a computer or any other digital device for a long time then this is the best way to relax your eyes. People used to blink less when they are in front of the computer. When you blink less, your eye becomes dry and debris gets collected due to lack of water in your eyes. So try to keep blinking your eyes to avoid eye Pain. It will also relax your eyes and protect from dryness or sore eyes.
12. Chamomile Tea to Reduce Eye Strain
Another good way to treat eye strain at home. The soothing and relaxing nature of chamomile tea will help reduce the stress in your eyes quickly. It can also help to reduce eye pain and swelling around eyes.
- Take 2 chamomile tea bags and steep in a cup of hot water for 5 minutes. Take out the tea bags, and put in the refrigerator. Place the refrigerated tea bag on your eyelids. Repeat this treatment 3 times in a day. Also, drinking 2 to 3 cups of chamomile tea alleviate a headache, which one of the common symptoms of eye strain.
- Alternatively, you can also use warm teabag of chamomile tea for warm treatment.
How to prevent Eye strain or Eye Pain?
Protect your eyes from the computer screen or other digital devices.
- Always keep enough distance from the screen. It is recommended that you should sit at least an arm’s length away from the screen.
- Locate the computer screen 4 or 5 inches below your eye level.
- Blink more while using a computer.
- Adjust your screen brightness.
- Reduce glare from your computer screen.
- Regular breaks are a must.
- Visit your doctor for specialized glasses.
Other precautions you should take to avoid Eye strain/Pain
- Avoid reading in dim light.
- Try to avoid reading a long article on your mobile phone.
- Do regular eye checkup.
- Stop doing single activity for a long time to Prevent Eye Strain or Pain.