Rice is the cheapest source and consumed by millions of people around the globe. Many of us know only two types of rice: white and brown. But, there are other types of rice assortments available in the market, which have more nutritional value, more flavour, and available in a different colour.
Are you surprised to know the varieties? Yes! Then check our post and find out the different varieties of rice and their health benefits that you need to incorporate in your daily diet.
Different Varieties Of Rice
People fear to have rice due to the higher amount of carbohydrates. Carbohydrates are required to supply energy to our body. Choosing the correct quantity and amazing quality based on individual needs. Here, we will discuss four different rice varieties and their health benefits. Read it out now!
1. Brown Rice: Brown rice is whole grain rice packed full of nutrients. It has bran, hull and germ which make the rice a healthier option to choose from over different varieties of rice. It’s beneficial to add it to your diet, especially if you are on a weight loss journey.
Brown Rice Health Benefits
- Brown rice is a rich source of folate, manganese, selenium, calcium, riboflavin, potassium and other vitamins and minerals. Due to its high manganese content, it helps to prevent impaired growth, fertility issues and other metabolic syndromes.
- Brown rice is also rich in antioxidants, phenols and flavonoids. It helps to lessen your heart disease, premature ageing, cell injury and other chronic diseases.
- Controls diabetes, prevents obesity and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduces the risk of colon cancer.
- Intake of brown rice helps to maintain healthy body weight
- Prevents the formation of gallstones.
- Promotes healthy digestion.
2. Red Rice: Red rice is also popular for its incredible health benefits. The red colour is due to an antioxidant compound called anthocyanin.
Red Rice Benefits
- Red rice has more fibre content which aids in strengthening the digestive system
- The presence of magnesium in red rice helps to prevent the risk of osteoporosis, arthritis, and keeps your teeth and bones healthy.
- Another variety of red rice named red yeast rice contains the compound Monacolin-K. It is the actual ingredient in the cholesterol-lowering drug. Rather than choosing costly medicines, it’s best to select natural ingredients to fight back the disease.
- The natural red pigment present in the red rice can slow down your ageing and protects your skin from damages.
- It helps to prevent diabetes and keeps your cholesterol levels in check
- If you are a fitness enthusiast, try incorporating red rice into your diet. It helps in maintaining your body weight.
- Red rice is rich in iron content which helps to fight anemia.
3. Black (Forbidden) rice: In the olden days black rice or forbidden rice was used only by the royals. With the expansion of research, individuals are turning for healthier options, and are trying to know nutritional value. Knowing its benefits, black rice has paved a way to include this in our diet.
Black Rice Benefits
- Black rice has more antioxidant levels than other varieties of rice, making it a unique choice to include in your diet.
- Anthocyanin present in black rice helps to prevent heart disease and also reduces inflammation throughout the body.
- Black rice is a good natural cleanser and flushes toxins from the body.
- Black rice is a rich source of fibre, hence it keeps our stomach fuller for a longer time
- Prevents the risk of diabetes, and obesity
- Controls blood pressure, aids in weight loss, improves brain, eye, digestive, and liver health.
4. Wild Rice: Wild rice is smaller and has fewer nutrients compared to other varieties of rice.
Wild Rice Benefits
- This type of rice has higher protein content than other coloured rice available in the market.
- Wild rice is rich in vitamin B, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, minerals such as potassium and phosphorous and amino acids. If you cannot meet the required nutrients through foods, consult your healthcare provider and seek advice for taking nutritional supplements.
- Wild rice aids in digestion and eliminates constipation, cramping, bloating and diarrhoea.
- Wild rice is rich in vitamin C which helps to boost immunity
- Switching to wild rice helps in maintaining bone strength, and bone density.
- Wild rice is low in calories, hence including it in your diet helps to lose weight and prevents obesity.
- Promotes hair growth, and it’s a great source of protein and hence its good option for vegetarians
- Lowers the chance of developing chronic diseases
- Prevents ageing and birth defects
5. Matta Rice (Kerala red rice)
Kerala red rice has a unique, nutty flavour and offers many health benefits. The cooking process of Kerala matta or red rice is lengthy and requires more amount of water to get the rice cooked.
Matta Rice Benefits
- Matta rice is rich in fibre, vitamins, calcium and magnesium. Intake of rice helps to maintain daily fibre requirements and aids in healthy digestion.
- The high magnesium content of matta red rice helps in preventing asthma, heart disease and osteoporosis. If you are suffering from any of these diseases and are already on medicines, then refill your medicine bottle by ordering your prescription medicines online from any reliable online pharmacy store. You can avail exciting medicine discounts round the year on your prescription.
- Kerala red rice is richer in calcium than white rice. Hence, it helps to keep bones, teeth and muscles healthy and strong.
- Matta rice is loaded with vitamins such as vitamin A and B. Adding matta rice to the diet helps to prevent vitamin deficiencies and also strengthens your immune system, improves vision and helps in synthesizing serotonin hormone in the body.
- Kerala red rice helps to lower the cholesterol and hence it keeps your heart healthy.
The trend of health-conscious and fitness freak is increasing day by day; hence you can find all varieties of rice in supermarkets and even in the pharmacy store. Substitute a healthy variety of rice over white rice and inhale its benefits to boost your health. Whatever the situation is, a healthy and well-balanced lifestyle is necessary for lifelong happiness!