How to get rid of Heartburn during Pregnancy? Heartburn is also known as acid indigestion. It is an irritation or burning sensation of the esophagus which is caused by stomach contents that reflux from the stomach.
Heartburn during pregnancy may occur because of changing hormone levels, which can affect the digestive tract and how different foods are tolerated.
Another reason behind heartburn is that connective tissue for an easier delivery—slows your digestion, meaning food stays in your stomach longer and triggers more acid production.
Heartburn is very common during pregnancy. It is estimated that more than 50% of pregnant women suffer from heartburn. Heartburn or indigestion symptoms are feeling full, feeling sick or nauseous, and burping.
The symptoms usually occur after having a meal. You can help ease the discomfort of indigestion and get rid of heartburn by making some changes to your diet and with natural remedies.
What Does Heartburn Feel Like? – Symptoms
- Feeling a burning sensation in the chest just behind the breastbone.
- Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down, or eating.
- Burning in the throat or hot, sour, acidic, or salty-tasting fluid at the back of the throat.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Feeling of food “sticking” in the middle of the chest or throat.
- Heartburn may cause a chronic cough, sore throat.
- Chest pain
- Pain in shoulder, neck, jaw, or arms.
- Shortness of breath
- Cold Sweat
What Causes Heartburn in Pregnancy?
- Change in hormone level is one of the reasons behind heartburn.
- The increase in the size of the uterus causes more pressure on your stomach which leads to heartburn.
- The relaxing of the lower oesophageal sphincter acts as a gate between your stomach and your esophagus, allowing stomach acid to leak back up.
- You are more at risk particularly during their second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Ginger Tea
Ginger good natural medicine for heartburn. It has anti-acidic properties which help to cure heartburn.
- Take one teaspoon of grated ginger and boil in one cup of water for 2 minutes.
- Drink this ginger tea twice a day.
- You can also chew, eat raw ginger or use ginger in cooking.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful remedy to get rid of heartburn. As low stomach acid actually creates heartburn, so this works to maintain the acid level which results in relief.
- Take one teaspoon of apple cider and mix with 250 ml of water Drink this mixture throughout the day and an hour before meals.
Papaya is a good home remedy for heartburn treatment during pregnancy. It is a good source of enzymes that helps to improve digestion and stop heartburn.
- Eat half bowl raw papaya 2-3 times in a day.
- Lemon Tea
Lemon is a very beneficial natural remedy for heartburn cure. It stimulates the production of digestive juices and bile in the stomach, which helps in digestion.
- Prepare a cup of lemon tea and drink twice a day. You can also add some honey to it for a better result.
- Take the juice of two fresh lemons and add a minimum of 250 ml water. Add a pinch of black salt and make lemonade.
- Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds or oil is a wonderful home remedy, which helps with heartburn cure. It helps to reduce the acidity in the stomach, decrease inflammation and soothe the digestive tract.
Excessive or frequent amounts of fennel are presumed to lead to contractions in the uterus. So, use fennel seeds carefully.
- You can add crushed fennel seeds in lemon tea and drink once or twice a day.
- Take a ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds after the meal or you can use fennel seeds in cooking.
- Milk and Honey
Milk and honey is a good remedy to stop heartburn which has a soothing property and helps in better digestion. It also improves the digestion system and reduces the acidic level in the body. This home remedy also helps to cure constipation which may cause heartburn.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and mix with warm milk and drink before going to bed.
- Slippery Elm
Slippery elm is a very effective remedy to reduce inflammation during the heartburn of a pregnant woman. It absorbs excess acid present in the body. This remedy also improves your digestion system.
- Take one teaspoon of slippery elm and boil in a cup of water.
- Add one teaspoon of honey for taste and leave it for five minutes.
- Drink this remedy twice a day to get a better result.
Yogurt is another very effective food for heartburn treatment. It improves the digestive system and helps to maintain the acid level in the body.
- Eat one bowl of yogurt twice a day or you can also eat this with your daily meal.
If you want immediate relief from heartburn to drink peppermint tea. It helps to reduce inflammation and soothe the digestive tract.
- Prepare peppermint tea and drink once or twice a day whenever you feel heartburn.
- Coconut Water
Another wonderful remedy to reduce inflammation during heartburn in a pregnant woman. It also helps to reduce the acidic level in the body. Drink coconut water twice a day to get immediate heartburn relief.
Almonds are a good way to neutralize the acid level in the body and reduce inflammation during heartburn. So 56 cloves of almond daily can prevent you from heartburn and also cure this health condition.
How to prevent heartburn during pregnancy?
If you are suffering from heartburn During Pregnancy follow the below tips to prevent heartburn.
- Eat slowly and eat several small meals each day instead of three large ones.
- Avoid fried, spicy, or fatty foods.
- Drink less water or any other beverage while eating.
- Drink more water or fluid for the whole day.
- Keep the head of your bed higher than the foot of your bed.
- Place pillows under your shoulders to help prevent stomach acids from rising into your chest.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes because they can increase the pressure on your stomach and abdomen.
- Try not to get constipation.
- Do not eat heavily before going to bed.
Also Read: Risk of Miscarriage During Pregnancy
What Food to eat during Heartburn during Pregnancy?
You can eat food to avoid heartburn.
- Dairy products like low-fat milk are good food to prevent heartburn.
- Ice creams are a good food to get heartburn relief.
- Basil leaves
- Fermented foods
- Chewing gum also helps to subsidize acid.
- Fermented drinks
- Whole grain food
What Not To Eat During Pregnancy?
- Spicy, acidic, and oily foods
- Carbonated drinks, Caffeine
- Tomatoes, Onions
- Citrus fruits
- Mint products
- Fried food, Greasy food
- Processed Meats
Friends, Above Home Remedies & Food, You can take to cure and Prevent heartburn During Pregnancy. Let us know your feedback and suggestion for how to get rid of Heartburn in Pregnancy Fast Naturally? in the comments.