How to Get Rid of a Sore Throat? Home Remedies for Sore Throat
How to get rid of a Sore Throat?: A sore throat is a very common infection which is related to pain, itchiness, or irritation of the throat. This infection gets worse when you try to swallow, and you may have difficulty swallowing food and liquids. A sore throat is caused by virus and bacteria. This infection is very common in children but it can happen at any age. Bacteria like streptococcal can cause strep throat and if left untreated can lead you to a serious problem. A sore throat is not a serious problem and you can cure a sore throat with natural home remedies.
Sore Throat Cause & Cure with Natural Home Remedies
What is the cause of a sore throat?
Below viral infection can cause you a sore throat
- Viral infection can cause your sore throats such as mumps, herpangina, or influenza.
- Mononucleosis, which occurs by a virus transmitted through saliva.
- Croup, it is an infection of the larynx
- Chickenpox, which is an infection that causes skin sores.
- Common viral fever and cold can also cause you a sore throat.
Bacterial infection causes you a sore throat.
- Strep throat, which is an inflammation of the throat caused by the Streptococcus bacteria.
- Common cold and flu, which affects the respiratory mucous membrane.
- Tonsils or tonsillitis can also cause inflammation in the throat.
Other things to cause you a sore throat.
- Smoking, air pollution, yelling can cause your sore throat.
- When you have allergies or stuffy nose, breathing through the mouth can cause you a sore throat.
- Fever – you may also feel very tired and have a fever and swollen glands in your neck
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) can cause a sore throat due Stomach acid that backs up into the throat.
Sign and symptoms of a sore throat.
- Pain or inflammation in the throat
- Difficulty swallowing
- Sore, swollen glands in your neck or jaw
- Swollen, red tonsils or pus in tonsillitis.
How long does a sore throat last? When to see a doctor
Usually sore throat last for 5 to 7 days and it considered as normal. If a sore throat lasts for more than a week and you feel below symptoms you need to visit a doctor.
- Difficulty breathing
- Joint pain
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty opening your mouth
- An earache
- High fever
- Bloody mucus
- A lump in the throat
- Hoarseness that lasts longer than two weeks
Home Remedies to get rid of a Sore Throat Fast
So many over the counter antibiotics for a sore throat available in the market. But there are many natural remedies which help to cure a sore throat. Follow below home remedy to get rid of a sore throat quickly.
- Honey to get rid of a sore throat
Honey is one of the best natural medicine for a sore throat. It has antibacterial and antibiotic properties which help ease sore throat pain. Do not give honey to children under 1 year of age.
- Take two tablespoons of fresh honey, add into a warm cup of tea and mix it well. Drink this mixture 2-3 times in a day for sore throat relief. You can also drink herbal tea with honey.
- You need a cup of warm milk because it has soothing and relaxing properties, and also works to provide moisture to the throat. Add 2 tablespoon of honey to warm milk and drink this honey milk several times throughout the day to get relief from a sore throat.
- Apple Cider Vinegar to cure a sore throat quickly
- Take a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and mix them in warm water. Drink this mixture while it is still warm. You can also gargle with a mixture of a pinch of salt to two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, and warm water. Do this at least twice in a day to help with a sore throat.
- Marshmallow Root sore throat treatment
Marshmallow is another wonderful natural remedy to for a sore throat cure.
- Take a liter of cold water and place a marshmallow root in cheesecloth and tie up in a bundle into the water. Keep it in water for 8 hours at least or for a night. Drink this water throughout the day to cure a sore throat.
- Alternatively, take one cup of boiling water and one tablespoon of dried marshmallow root, Put one tablespoon of dried root in a cup boiling water. Cover and steep for 30-60 minutes before straining and drink this water twice in a day.
- Gargle with salt water for sore throat relief
One of the oldest ways to cure a sore throat is gargle with salt water. It also helps to soothe pain and get rid of swollen throat and inflammation.
- Take one glass of water and ½ tablespoon of salt. Mix salt in water and gargle with this in the morning. Gargle with salt water 3 times in a day.
- Garlic is a natural medicine for a sore throat
Garlic is a very effective home remedy to cure a sore throat. Because it has antibacterial and anti-inflammation properties which help to soothe the pain and swelling due to a sore throat.
- Take a garlic clove and place 1 piece of garlic on each cheek, and suck on it like a cough drop. Crush your teeth against garlic clove and extract the juice also there’s no need to actually bite it. Do this remedy once in a day to get rid of a sore throat.
- Cayenne is good for a sore throat
This natural remedy is very beneficial and helps to soothe swelling and pain of a sore throat. Cayenne has a chemical compound called capsaicin that helps in relieves pain.
- To make this home remedy you need 1/2 teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, 1 cup of boiling water, and 1 teaspoon of honey. Add cayenne pepper in boiling water and add honey to it. Let it cool down and drink this mixture throughout in a day.
- Licorice Root
Licorice root has antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties which help to ease sore throat pain and reduce swelling. You can drink licorice tea for a swollen throat.
- Take 1 cup crushed dry licorice root, 1/2 cup cinnamon chips, 2 tablespoons cloves, 1/2 cup chamomile flowers. Mix all of them well and prepare tea from this mixture. Drink this tea twice in a day.
Lemon is another good natural home remedy for a sore throat and it also helps to cure tonsillitis. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which helps to cure inflammation due to a sore throat.
- To make this remedy you need to take one glass of warm water, add 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice, one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of salt. Mix it well drink this mixture 2-3 times in a day.
- Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea has antibacterial properties which help to kill bacteria. It also to reduce body aches due to a sore throat.
- Take 1 bag of chamomile tea and add 1 cup of boiling water to prepare tea. Cover it with lid and let steep for 10 minutes. You can add little honey and lemon for a better result. Drink twice or thrice in a day.
- Ginger to get rid of a sore throat fast overnight
Ginger has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties which help to soothe pain due to a sore throat and also cure tonsillitis. It also boosts your blood circulation, increasing oxygen to your cells and flush out harmful toxins.
- Take fresh ginger root 2 inch long and crush it well. Add crushed ginger in boiling water and boil it for 5 minutes and then let it cool down. If you don’t like the taste you can add honey. Drink this ginger tea twice in a day to get quick relief.
Above natural home remedies, you can use to cure a sore throat. They also help to reduce pain and swelling. Few remedies are very good way to get rid of inflammation and tonsils problem. Heavy doses of painkiller can affect your body immunity system. The natural home remedy is 100% side effect free and you can make them very easily. Please give your feedback and let us know how you feel about above natural remedies.