How to Get Rid of Body Odor? Do you ever feel embarrassed at work, college or school because of bad body odor? It happens with most of us and this is not a good situation to be in. It is a natural process and many people face this problem very often. To smell nice you have to spend so much on deodorant and perfumes. But there natural and simple way to get rid of body odor or armpit smell.
Body odor is a very unpleasant smell which occurs when bacteria present on our skin mix with sweat and turn it into acids. When men and women reach to their puberty body odor become evident. People with some medical condition or obese or eats too much spicy food are more likely to have body odor.
People with hyperhidrosis means who sweat excessively also highly likely to get body odor. But it also depends on the type of sweating and area where sweating is occurring. Sometimes the salt level of sweat is very high for bacteria and they are not able to break down into acids. Sweat is odorless in fact but the presence of bacteria helps to break down sweat into acid and produce body odor. Body odor mainly occurs in armpits, feet, pubic hair and genitals. Apart from these parts body odor can also occur at the belly button, anus etc.
Every person in this world has unique body odor and there are two types of acid which cause body odor-
- Propionic Acid
- Isovaleric Acid
What causes body odor or Underarm Armpit Smell?
- Excessive sweating
- Being Overweight
- Eating Spicy Food
- Drinking alcohol
- Some medical condition
- Some medications
Natural Remedies to Prevent or Get Rid of Body Odor
- Apple Cider Vinegar to Deal with Body Odor
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful home remedy to cure body odor without deodorant. Due to its antibacterial properties, apple cider vinegar kills the bacteria present on the skin. It helps to decrease the pH level on the skin and helps to get rid of body odor and underarm smell.
- Take some apple cider vinegar and apply on your underarm with the help of cotton ball. Leave it there for 5 minutes then wash it off with water.
- You can also wash your underarm area while having a bath.
- Witch Hazel Remove Body Odor and Armpit Smell
Excessive sweat helps to increase pH level on the skin which encourages bacteria production. Witch hazel helps to decrease the pH level which makes very difficult for bacteria to survive. Fewer bacteria means less bad smell from underarms and other parts of the body. Antibacterial properties of witch hazel make it a good home remedy to get rid of body odor.
- Take witch hazel and a cotton ball. Apply this remedy on your underarms, groin or another part where excessive sweating occurs with the help of cotton ball. You can also use deodorant after applying witch hazel but first, let it dry completely.
- Lemon Juice to Get Rid of Armpit Smell and Body Odor.
Another wonderful remedy to kill bacteria which produce bad body odor. Lemon also helps to lower pH level and make it difficult for bacteria to survive. Make sure you don’t use lemon just after shaving your hairs.
- Take one lemon and apply it directly on your underarms.
- You can extract the juice from lemon and then apply with the help of cotton ball.
- If you have mild body odor you can dilute lemon juice with water.
- Baking Soda Natural Body Odor Treatment
Baking soda is a very effective home remedy for body odor treatment at home. People who suffer from excessive sweating and also have body odor, baking soda is a wonderful remedy for them. It helps to absorb sweat and kills bacteria. You can use baking soda with lemon juice and it works as a natural deodorant for body odor.
- Extract juice from one fresh lemon and baking soda, make a fine paste by mixing them. Before going for a bath, apply this natural remedy to your armpit and other body parts where you feel excessive sweating is happening. Let it be there for 5- 10 minutes and then wash it off with water. Use this remedy 3-4 times in the week before having a bath.
- You can apply a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch on your underarms after taking bath. But make sure you completely dry your underarms and another part of the body before using this remedy.
- Rosemary to Prevent Body Odor
Rosemary is another home remedy to kill bacteria which produce bad body odor. Due to the presence of menthol and chlorophyll in rosemary, it works as a natural body deodorant.
- Take ½ cup dried leaves of rosemary and add to 4-5 cups of boiling water. Let steep for 10-15 minutes. Let it cool down and mix with your bath water. Take bath with this water and for better result soak yourself for 15 minutes in this water. Take rosemary bath daily to smell nice and prevent bad body odor.
- Rosemary essential oil is another good home remedy to get rid of armpit odor without deodorant. Apply essential oil with a cotton ball on your underarms.
- Sage Get Rid of Body Odor Permanently
Another remedy which can solve your excess sweating problem and prevent you from smelling bad. Sage has antibacterial properties which help to kills bacteria and stop underarm odor and wetness.
- To make the natural deodorant home you need essential oil of sage, coriander, lavender and witch hazel. Take 5 drops of each oil and 50 gram of witch hazel. Mix them well and keep it in a spray bottle. Use this remedy as a homemade deodorant.
- Tea Tree Oil to Get Rid of Armpit Odor
Tea tree oil has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help to kill bacteria. It also has a pleasant smell which reduces body odor. If your skin is sensitive towards tea tree oil then you can use tea tree oil.
- Take 2-3 drops of tea tree essential oil and mix with 2 tablespoons of water. Apply this mixture on your underarms to avoid body odor.
- Wheatgrass Remedy to Get Rid of Armpit Smell
This remedy contains chlorophyll which can prevent you from body odor. It has a very irritating taste so you should start with very small quantity.
- Take two teaspoons of wheatgrass juice and mix with one glass of water. Drink this remedy in the morning before having anything.
- Natural Homemade Deodorant Powder to Get Rid of Body Odor
You can make herbal powder at home which will prevent you from sweating and also reduce bad smell from the body.
- To make this powder you need two tablespoons of sandalwood powder, one teaspoon powder of white oak bark, one teaspoon powder of Lovage root.
- With help of grinder or blender mix all these powder well and toast the powder a little using a pan. Then keep this powder in dry pouch or muslin bag. Apply this powder on your underarms and excessive sweating part of the body.
- Liquid Alum Natural Deodorant to Remove Body Odor
If you don’t want to use a smelling deodorant then use this smell less remedy to get rid of body odor permanently. To make unscented deodorant, alum is the best natural herb.
- Take 4 teaspoons of alum powder, 2 teaspoons of baking soda and 250 ml of rubbing alcohol. Mix them well and keep it in a spray bottle. Use this natural deodorant whenever you have a bad odor.
Diet and Other Tips to Prevent Body Odor / Underarm smell
Your food habits are also responsible for your body odor. Follow diet and tips to prevent Underarm smell.
- Drink water as much as you can.
- Eat food which contains protein and fiber.
- Avoid eating too much-fried meat. Do not eat food which is hard to digest.
- Don’t consume tobacco because it causes bad body odor.