What is Chicken Pox? Chickenpox is a contagious viral infection which is caused by a virus named varicella-zoster virus (VZV). This virus belongs to the herpesvirus family and which also cause a disease known as shingles. This virus attacked when there is a weak immune system in the body. Chickenpox was a very common disease in childhood before vaccine invention in the US. This disease normally last for 2-4 weeks. Chickenpox is more dangerous for adults than in children. Medical science has invented many treatments and Cure for chicken pox but there many effective home remedies which can be used to get rid of chicken pox fast.
- 1 Is Chicken Pox Contagious?
- 2 How to Cure / Get Rid of Chicken Pox Home Remedies
Is Chicken Pox Contagious?
Yes, chicken pox is very contagious like other cold and flu. Chickenpox can spread from one person to another person. It can spread very easily through airborne particles, exhaled air and fluid from the open sore of an infected people. It can also spread from the cloths of an infected person. According to many studies that an infected person can spread chicken pox 5 days before and 5 days after the rashes occur due to chicken pox.
What is the Incubation Period for Chicken Pox?
Chickenpox normally occurs children’s before the age of 12 but it can occur to adults as well. The incubation period for chicken pox is 10-21 days. In severe cases of chickenpox, rashes can appear on your genitals and nose area. The chicken pox virus varicella-zoster virus can live for years in your nerve cells if you ever had this disease. This virus can wake up any time if you haven’t had vaccinated.
What is The Best Time to Take Chicken Pox Vaccine for Children and Adults?
Normally two doses of chickenpox vaccine are highly recommended for children once at the age between 1 to 1.5 years and 2nd at the age between 4- 6 years. These are the best time to have a chicken pox vaccine to prevent this disease. If you never had the vaccine and you are already above 13 then take two doses of vaccine and give a 1-month gap between first and second doses.
What are the Symptoms of Chickenpox?
Chickenpox symptoms will start to appear after 10 -21 days of infection. And your body becomes contiguous 2 days before you develop symptoms. Red itchy rashes on your body are the most common symptoms of chickenpox. Along with rashes, other symptoms include-
Causes of Chicken Pox?
Varicella-zoster virus (VZV) is the main reason for the chickenpox infection. This is a contagious disease which can occur through contact with an infected person. You can get infected through sneezing, coughing saliva, and contact with fluid from the rashes of an infected person.
How to Cure / Get Rid of Chicken Pox Home Remedies
Chickenpox used to be a very common health issue before human invented chicken pox vaccine. If you had the vaccine in your childhood it will reduce your chances of having chicken by 98% which is a significant achievement. Chickenpox normally occurs in children but it can occur in adults too. There are many natural home remedies you can try at home to get rid of chicken pox fast.
- Oatmeal for Chicken Pox Treatment at Home
Oatmeal bath is one of the best home remedies for chicken pox. It will reduce pain and itching due to its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It also fights with bacteria and prevents from scaring due to rashes.
- Take 2 cups of oatmeal and grind them into a fine powder. Now take two liters of water and add the powder in it. Leave the powder in water for at least 15 minutes. Take washcloth bag and pour the oatmeal paste into it.
- Now fill the bathtub with lukewarm water and place the bag in it. Stir the oatmeal bag until the water turns into milky white. Now get in the bathtub and soak yourself for 10-20 minutes to get relief from itching and pain due to chicken pox.
- Baking Soda to Get Rid of Chicken Pox Fast
Baking soda is also a good home remedy to stop itching and irritation because of rashes due to chickenpox.
- Take one cup of water and add one tablespoon of baking soda. Now dip a cotton ball into it and apply on affected area.
- You can also add one tablespoon of baking soda in the bathtub and soak yourself in it. Repeat this remedy for a week to get relief from chicken pox.
- Brown Vinegar to Cure Chickenpox Naturally
Brown vinegar is a very effective natural remedy to cure the itching and pain caused by chickenpox rashes. It also prevents the scaring due to rashes.
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water and add a half cup of brown vinegar into it. Now, take bath for at least 15 to 20 minutes. Repeat this remedy until you get relief from itching and chickenpox rashes.
- Calamine Lotion for Chickenpox Treatment in Adults
Calamine lotion is a very effective treatment for chickenpox at home for adults. It will reduce itching and cure blisters fast. Apply this lotion on affected area when you feel too much itching and pain.
Note- Calamine lotion can have side effects on some people. It can worsen the itching. Do not use this lotion more than 4 times in a weak or more than once in a day.
- Jasmine Flower Bath to Cure Chickenpox For Adults
Taking bath in jasmine flower water is a wonderful home remedy to cure itching and pain caused by chickenpox.
- Take a handful of jasmine flowers and grind them in to paste. Add the ground jasmine flowers in rice water. Now keep this mixture in a cloth bag and put the cloth bag in a bathtub filled with lukewarm water. Soak yourself for 15 to 20 minutes in the bathtub. Repeat this remedy until you get relief from chickenpox.
- Indian Lilac to Get Rid of Chicken Pox Fast in Children
Indian lilac is also called Margosa or Neem which is one of the most effective and ancient remedies for chickenpox. It has antifungal, antibacterial, antibiotic, and antioxidant properties which help to reduce itching and cure rashes fast. This remedy also prevents scarring.
- You can prepare a paste from fresh leaves of Indian lilac with water. Apply the paste on the affected area. Use this remedy until you get rid of rashes and blisters. This remedy can be used for all ages.
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water and add fresh leaves of Indian Lilac into it. Now soak yourself for 15 to 20 minutes in it.
- You can also hang fresh leaves around your bed to prevent from spreading chickenpox.
- Carrots and Coriander Soup for Chickenpox
An effective home remedy for chickenpox due to its antioxidant properties. Drinking coriander and carrots soup is healthy for your immunity and it also fights with bacteria. Prepare soup from fresh carrot and coriander or you can get from the market but always prefer homemade. Drink soup for one month to get a significant result.
- Honey for Faster Chickenpox Cure
Honey is a wonderful natural herb which used to cure many health issues and chickenpox is no exception. It has antifungal, antibacterial, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce itching and pain due to blisters.
- Apply honey directly on the affected area and leave to for 20 minutes. Use this natural remedy for 2 times in a day for a week to get relief from chickenpox.
- Basil for Chickenpox Relief Naturally
Basil has anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce itching and cure chickenpox fast. It also helps to kill the bacteria and prevent scarring.
- Take a handful of fresh basil leaves and boil it in a cup of water for 5 minutes. Then let it simmer for 5 minutes and then keep it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes. Now apply this mixture on the affected area with a washcloth. Repeat this remedy once or twice in a day for a week.
- Aloe Vera for Chickenpox Cure at Home
Aloe vera is a very beneficial natural herb in treating chickenpox at home. It has anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties which help to heal blisters and reduce itching very fast.
- Take fresh aloe vera leaf and extract the gel from it. Now apply the gel directly on affected area. Repeat this remedy two times in a day for a week or two for a better result.
Prevention Tips for Chicken Pox
Prevention is very important for a person having chicken pox and for the people around him. As this is a contagious disease so need to be extra careful around infected people.
- We should get our children vaccinated twice before the age of 6. Taking chickenpox vaccine reduces the chances of having chickenpox around 98%.
- Adult people can get the vaccine too. Contact your doctor for the vaccine if you haven’t had already.
- Do not make any contact with infected people.
- Weak mask and gloves when you go around an infected person.
- Do not scratch the rashes.
- Stay at home as much as possible. Take leave from work and if your children are having chickenpox then don’t let them go to school.
How many days to recover from Chicken Pox : When to See a Doctor?
Mild chickenpox gets healed by on their own. But in severe cases of chickenpox, you need immediate medical attention. Most severe cases of chickenpox develop in adults. Children tend to have mild chickenpox which normally recovers within 21 days.
Visit a doctor immediately if you see the following symptoms:-
- Red rashes on your eyes, nose, and genitals.
- Breathing problem
- Stiff neck
- High fever above 102 F
- See a doctor if you are older than 12.
- If a child is less than 6 months then he/she needs immediate medical attention.
- If you are pregnant and suffering from chickenpox then visit your doctor as soon as possible.
Chickenpox is a very contagious disease so you need to be very cautious if you are suffering from it or someone from your family or friend suffering from it. This is used to be a very common disease in the US or around the world before the vaccine. After taking vaccine chance of chickenpox reduces 98% which quite significant. Chickenpox normally takes 15- 21 days to recover. Use natural remedy to cure / get rid of chickenpox and visit a doctor if symptoms get severe. leave your comment and suggestion.