How to get rid of Heartburn in Pregnancy? Heartburn is also known as acid indigestion. It is an irritation or burning sensation of the esophagus which is caused by stomach contents that reflux from the stomach. Heartburn during pregnancy may occur because of changing hormone levels, which can affect the digestive tract and how different foods are tolerated. Another reason behind heartburn is that connective tissue for an easier delivery—slows your digestion, meaning food stays in your stomach longer and triggers more acid production.
Heartburn is very common during pregnancy. It is estimated that more than 50% pregnant woman suffer from heartburn. Heartburn or indigestion symptoms are feeling full, feeling sick or nauseous, and burping. The symptoms usually occur after having a meal. You can help ease the discomfort of indigestion and get rid of heartburn by making some changes to your diet and with natural remedies.
What Does Heartburn Feel Like or heartburn symptoms?
- Feeling burning sensation in the chest just behind the breastbone.
- Chest pain, especially after bending over, lying down or eating.
- Burning in the throat or hot, sour, acidic or salty-tasting fluid at the back of the throat.
- Difficulty swallowing.
- Feeling of food “sticking” in the middle of the chest or throat.
- Heartburn may cause a chronic cough, sore throat.
- Chest pain
- Pain in shoulder, neck, jaw or arms.
- Shortness of breath
- Cold Sweat
What causes heartburn in pregnancy?
- Change in hormone level is one of the reasons behind heartburn.
- The increase in the size of uterus causes more pressure on your stomach which lead to heartburn.
- The relaxing of the lower oesophageal sphincter that acts like a gate between your stomach and your esophagus, allowing stomach acid to leak back up.
- You are more at risk particularly during their second and third trimesters of pregnancy.
Home Remedies to get rid of Heartburn During Pregnancy
- Ginger Tea to Cure Heartburn
Ginger good natural medicine for heartburn. It has anti-acidic properties which help to cure heartburn.
- Take one teaspoon of grated ginger and boil in one cup of water for 2 minutes. Drink this ginger tea twice in a day.
- You can also chew, eat raw ginger or use ginger in cooking.
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Heartburn Treatment
Apple cider vinegar is a wonderful remedy to get rid of heartburn. As low stomach acid actually creates heartburn, so this works to maintain the acid level which results in relief.
- Take one teaspoon of apple cider and mix with 250 ml of water Drink this mixture throughout the day and an hour before meals.
- Papaya to get rid of heartburn
Papaya is a good home remedy for heartburn treatment during pregnancy. It is a good source of enzymes which helps to improve digestion and stop heartburn.
- Eat half bowl raw papaya 2-3 times in a day.
- Lemon Tea For Heartburn Cure
Lemon is a very beneficial natural remedy for heartburn cure. It stimulates the production of digestive juices and bile in the stomach, which helps in digestion.
- Prepare a cup of lemon tea and drink twice in a day. You can also add some honey to it for a better result.
- Take juice of two fresh lemons and add a minimum of 250 ml water. Add a pinch of black salt and make a lemonade.
- Fennel seeds for Fast Releif Heartburn
Fennel seeds or oil wonderful home remedy, which help with heartburn cure. It helps to reduce the acidity in the stomach, decrease inflammation and soothe the digestive tract. Excessive or frequent amounts of fennel are presumed to lead to contractions in the uterus. So, use fennel seeds carefully.
- You can add crushed fennel seeds in lemon tea and drink once or twice in a day.
- Take ½ teaspoon of fennel seeds after the meal or you can use fennel seeds in cooking.
- Milk and Honey to Stop Heartburn
Milk and honey are a good remedy to stop heartburn which has a soothing property and helps in better digestion. It also improves digestion system and reduces the acidic level in the body. This home remedy also helps to cure constipation which may cause you heartburn.
- Take one teaspoon of honey and mix with warm milk and drink before going to bed.
- Slippery Elm for Heartburn treatment
Slippery elm is a very effective remedy to reduce inflammation during heartburn of pregnant woman. It absorbs excessive acid presents in the body. This remedy also improves your digestion system.
- Take one teaspoon of slippery elm and boil in a cup of water. Add one teaspoon of honey for taste and leave it for five minutes. Drink this remedy twice in a day to get a better result.
- Yogurt for Heartburn Releif
Yogurt is another very effective food for heartburn treatment. It improves digest system and helps to maintain the acid level in the body.
- Eat one bowl of yogurt twice a day or you can also eat this with your daily meal.
- Peppermint Fast Heartburn Cure
If you want immediate relief from heartburn to drinks peppermint tea. It helps to reduce inflammation and soothe the digestive tract.
- Prepare peppermint tea and drink once or twice in a day whenever you feel heartburn.
- Coconut Water
Another wonderful remedy to reduce inflammation during heartburn in a pregnant woman. It also helps to reduce the acidic level in the body. Drink coconut water twice in a day to get immediate heartburn relief.
Almonds are a good way to neutralize acid level in the body and reduce inflammation during heartburn. So 56 clove of almond daily can prevent you from heartburn and also cure this health condition.
How to cure & prevent heartburn during pregnancy?
If you are suffering from heartburn During Pregnancy follow below tips to prevent heartburn.
- Eat slowly and eat several small meals each day instead of three large ones.
- Avoid fried, spicy, or fatty foods.
- Drink less water or any other beverage while eating.
- Drink more water or fluid during the whole day.
- Keep the head of your bed higher than the foot of your bed.
- Place pillows under your shoulders to help prevent stomach acids from rising into your chest.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes because they can increase the pressure on your stomach and abdomen.
- Try not to get constipation.
- Do not eat heavy before going to bed.
Also Read : Risk of Miscarriage During Pregnancy
What Food to eat during Heartburn during Pregnancy?
You can eat food to avoid heartburn.
- Dairy products like low-fat milk are a good food to prevent heartburn.
- Ice creams are a good food to get heartburn relief.
- Basil leaves
- Fermented foods
- Chewing gum also helps to subsidize acid.
- Fermented drinks
- Whole grain food
Food to avoid: what not to eat during Pregnancy
- Spicy, acidic and oily foods
- Carbonated drinks, Caffeine
- Tomatoes, Onions
- Citrus fruits
- Mint products
- Fried food, Greasy food
- Processed Meats
Friends, Above Home Remedies & Food, You can take to cure and Prevent heartburn During Pregnancy. Let us know your feedback and suggestion for How to get rid of Heartburn in Pregnancy Fast Naturally? in comments.