How to Increase Breast Milk Naturally? Breast milk is very important food for your newborn baby and mostly women worry about the amount of milk they produce. Many women want to know how to increase breast milk supply. For most of the breastfeeding woman out there should know that their breast size doesn’t matter for milk supply. So the best way to increase breast milk is to feed your baby as more as you can.
The best way to know that you’re producing enough breast milk is that your baby is putting on weight and growing normally. Study exhibits that it’s normal for a newborn to lose weight in the first few days. But then start to put on weight again three to five days after birth. If your newborn baby is not growing with normal growth then you may be producing less breast milk. But you should not feel tense because there are natural remedies and food which can help you to increase the breast milk supply.
Low breast milk supply can cause your baby malnutrition, a weak immunity system, and poor memory. So it is very important to produce enough breast milk for your child normal growth.
Below are the sign that you baby is getting enough milk
- Breastfeeding feels comfortable and painless.
- A newborn baby is feeding at least six to eight times a day.
- Your breasts feel emptier and softer after feeds.
- Baby comes off your breast spontaneously when he’s finished.
- Newborn baby passes urine at least seven times in a day. His/her stool should be yellow in color
What are the causes for Low breast milk supply?
Below causes that can effect supply of breast milk.
- Waiting too long to start breastfeeding.
- An ineffective latch and use of certain medications.
- Insufficient glandular tissue can affect breast milk production.
- Hormonal or endocrine problems may be the other reason for low milk supply.
- Previous breast surgery
- Birth control pill can affect your breast milk production.
- You may be surprised but not feeding at night can cause you low breast milk.
Home Remedies & Foods to Increase Breast Milk Production
You can increase breast milk production by doing some easy and simple home remedies. Below are some useful increase breast milk naturally tips and foods to eat.
- Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds are an effective home remedy to increase breast milk supply. It stimulates sweat gland activity, mammary glands are modified sweat glands. Fenugreek is a rich source of protein, iron & vitamin C which help maintain breast milk production.
- Drink fenugreek seeds tea daily for few weeks. Take one tablespoon of fenugreek seeds and soak them in overnight. In the morning boil this water for 3-4 minutes. Strain this solution and drink sip by sip.
- You can also add fenugreek seeds in your diet.
- Eat sprout fenugreek seeds with milk daily in the morning is another way to avoid low breast milk.
Note: If you are suffering Diabetes and asthma then do not use fenugreek seeds.
- Fennel Seeds
Another seed which are beneficial in increasing breast milk production. This natural herb contains a substance called galactagogue which helps to increase breast milk naturally. Fennel seeds are good for digestion and help prevent colic pain in newborn babies.
- You can add fennel seeds in your food and can eat 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds after every meal.
- Take one teaspoon of fennel seeds and soak them in water for overnight. Drink this water in the morning daily.
- Boil one teaspoon of fennel in milk and drink every day is a good food to increase breast milk quickly.
- Alternatively, take one-half cup each of fennel seeds, cumin seeds and rock candy (misri) and mix them well in a bowl. Grind them into a fine powder. Eat one teaspoon of this powder with one cup of milk twice in a day for two weeks.
Oatmeal is one of the best Foods to increase breast milk quickly. It is a good source of iron and also contains fiber which is easy to digest.
- You can make Oats smoothie and eat twice in a day.
- Eating oats idli or oats poha, chilla which is a good way to increase breast milk by Indian food.
- Take a bowl of oats with a glass of milk daily.
- You can also eat oatmeal cookies or cakes.
- Barley to Increase Breast Milk
Barley is a good natural remedy to boost the breast milk supply. It is a good source of fiber and also helps you to be hydrated which is very important during breastfeeding.
- Take 1 teaspoon of barley and boil in one cup of water. Strain this solution and drink twice in a day for few weeks.
- You can also try barley soup, which also helps to improve digestion.
- Another way to take barley is that you can use barley flour for making multigrain chapati or bread.
- Cow’s Milk
The dairy product is very important during breastfeeding and also good for overall health. Milk is a good source of calcium which helps to maintain calcium level in the body. It also helps to increase the breast milk quantity.
- Take one glass of milk with nuts in morning breakfast.
- You can also add milk to porridge or oatmeal.
- Prepare rice pudding with cow milk.
- A dairy product like cheese, milk, paneer, and yogurt is good for a lactating woman.
Eating eggs is a good way to increase breast milk naturally at home. It also helps to improve the quality of breast milk. The egg is blessed with nutrients like vitamins A, B2, B12, omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, phosphorous and minerals. It is beneficial for your baby’s growth and also fulfills protein demand of baby.
- Have boiled eggs in the breakfast with cow milk is a good way to start your day.
- You can also prepare egg curry or egg omelet.
Cinnamon is a very beneficial Ayurvedic remedy for an increase in secretion of breast milk. It also helps to delay your period after childbirth. Cinnamon also improve the taste of breast milk.
- Take a pinch of cinnamon powder and one-half teaspoon of honey, mix them well. Eat it with a cup of warm milk. Do this remedy daily before going to bed for one or two months.
Garlic also improves the taste and quantity of breast milk. It seems that newborn baby also like the taste milk.
- Take three garlic cloves and grated them. Now, boil the grated garlic in one cup of water until the quantity is reduced to about one quarter. Again, add one cup of milk to this mixture and boil again for 3-4 minutes. Mix one-half teaspoon of honey and strain it. Drink this remedy in the morning, during the breastfeeding.
- Sweet Potato to increase breastmilk supply
Sweet potato is a good source of vitamin A which makes it effective food for increasing breast milk. It also contains nutrients like phosphorus, vitamin B1 & B2, vitamin C, potassium, fiber, copper, vitamin B6. It also helps has relaxation effect on the body and also make you feel stress-free. Sweet potato also improves the digestive system.
- You Can make oven roasted sweet potatoes wedges at home and eat twice in a day for few weeks.
- Also, you can make carrot and sweet potato soup, a healthy option. Take soup twice in a day for better result.
- Try sweet potato pudding which is also great foods to increase breast milk production.
Drumstick is rich in iron and calcium and good home remedy for lactating moms. It also helps to fight malnutrition. Drumstick helps to increase breast milk as it stimulates the mammary glands.
- Extract juice from fresh drumsticks and add lemon & mint for flavoring. You can also prepare juice by combining drumsticks with bottle gourd.
- You can use drumsticks in curries & vegetables.
Another effective natural herb which helps to get rid of low breast milk supply. It contains many nutrients like protein, fiber, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and minerals. It is a good antioxidant and also helps to improve blood circulation. Alfalfa is considered as a galactagogue which helps the lactating moms to boost milk production. It is the main food source for dairy animals to increase milk production.
- Eat alfalfa sprouts with soups and salad.
- Take one teaspoon of dried alfalfa leaves and boil them in one cup of water. Strain this mixture and drink this tea twice in a day.
Tips to increase breast milk & what to do during breastfeeding?
- Gently massage your breasts while feeding.
- Avoid or rarely use bottles and pacifiers.
- Drink more water and be hydrated all the time.
- Switch Nursing- Try to offer your child both breast equally.
- Frequent Breastfeeding- Feed according to your baby demand for breast milk, the more will the body produce. Try to nurse at least 6-8 times every day and then slowly increase the rate.
- Give your body enough food, sleep and relaxation
Ayurvedic Remedy and Medicine for low breast milk production
Shatavari Granules- It is a good ayurvedic health tonic for a woman. It gives proper nutrition to a woman before and after childbirth. This tonic helps to improve quality and quantity of breast milk. Take 2 teaspoons of this Ayurveda tonic twice in a day.
Hi friends, above food and natural remedies, you can use to boost milk supply. If you have any question and suggestion for us please don’t hesitate. If you like our information please comment below. Let us know your feedback and how you feel about the information we mention above. Hope you will get the benefit and increase breast milk naturally at home with Foods & Remedies.