Jaundice is a hazardous health condition, which could damage your liver. But in fact, jaundice is not a disease itself but a symptom of underlying health condition. Most common disease caused by jaundice are hepatitis and liver damage. Other underlying disease causes of Jaundice include malaria, cirrhosis, thalassemia, etc. Jaundice usually happens due to increase of bilirubin in the blood.
The right approach to cure jaundice is to go after the underlying condition. If you are suffering from severe jaundice problem, then you should visit a doctor and should follow a healthy Diet for faster recovery. Eating right food during jaundice is equally necessary as medication. There are so many natural foods that can help to maintain your strength and improve your liver condition during disease.
Jaundice occurs when bilirubin level in the blood exceeds 2.5-3 mg/d. Hepatitis is one of the major causes in adults. Other reasons are excessive alcohol, pancreas cancer steroids, etc. in women this problem can happen because of pregnancy and birth control pills.
Jaundice mainly possess symptoms of yellowish skin and eyes. Other symptoms include abdominal discomfort, pale colored stool, and loss of appetite, etc.
Jaundice Diet Chart: Food for Patients
- During the first week of jaundice, you should take only fruit juice and drink lemon water. You can take one glass juices of oranges, lemons, grapes, pears, carrots, beets or sugarcane.
- After one week of only juices, then you may take all-fruit diet for further 3 to 5 days. In this short period, you may have three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, oranges, or pineapples. Note, Banana should be avoided during this period.
After this 3 to 5 days of all fruit diet. Follow the below diet chart for next one week for faster jaundice recovery.
- Breakfast: You should use one fresh fruit such as apple, pear, mango, papaya, or some grapes, or berries. One cup of broken wheat or one slice of whole wheat bread.
- Lunch: Eat raw vegetable salad, a steamed leafy vegetable such as spinach, fenugreek or carrot and a glass of buttermilk. You can also take two small wheat tortilla with whole wheat flour.
- Dinner: Eat one cup of vegetable soup, two wheat tortilla of whole wheat, baked potato and one other leafy vegetable like Fenugreek seeds, spinach, etc.
In between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, you should drink one glass juice of fresh fruit or coconut water.
Note: Don’t eat fatty products for 2 to 3 weeks during and after jaundice recovery.
Food to be Take/ Eaten during Jaundice treatment
A person suffering from this disease should know what to eat and what not eat to get rid of jaundice quickly. You can take foods during and after treatment.
- Lemon: It is advised to take a glass of lukewarm water by mixing one teaspoon of lemon juice to it is good for the liver. It contains vitamin C which helps the liver to regain its strength. Lemon water should be taken empty stomach.
- Sugarcane Juice: It is one the best food for jaundice cure. Sugarcane juice helps to maintain glucose level in the blood and also keep you hydrated. Drink one glass of sugarcane juice twice or thrice in a day. You can add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Tomato Juice: Drink one glass of tomato juice, empty stomach in the morning is a beneficial home cure for jaundice. You can add a pinch of salt and pepper to it for a better result.
- Buttermilk: Another vital food for jaundice. Buttermilk help to strength your liver and improve digestion.
- Vegetable Salad: Eating fresh vegetable salad is very useful for jaundice treatment. Vegetables are rich in fiber and easy to digest.
- Almonds: Eating almonds is good for the liver because it increases the flow of blood.
- Carrot Juice: Drink carrot juice twice or thrice in a day. Alternatively, you can eat carrot as a salad.
- Radishes: They are also suitable for the liver and digestive system.
- Vegetable soup: You can take vegetable soup for lunch and dinner during jaundice. One cup strained the vegetable soup, two wheat tortilla of the whole meal.
- Potato: For dinner or lunch you can take a baked potato and one other leafy vegetable like fenugreek seeds, spinach, etc.
- Gooseberry: Indian gooseberry contains a high amount of vitamin C, which help to improve the digestive system.
- Orange Juice: Two or three glass of orange is juice is very useful in jaundice treatment. It helps to improve your immunity system and also help to flush out harmful toxins.
- Water: Drinking more water is beneficial in to cure this Disease.
Jaundice Diet Restrictions: Food not to be eaten during Cure
There is food which can make jaundice worst, so it’s better to avoid those type of food. Food which contains a high amount of fat should be avoided.
- Eggs: Eggs contain fat and protein which is very hard to digest and that affects your digestive system.
- Meat: Any meat should be avoided during jaundice at least for two weeks. They contain more carbohydrate and liver needs to produce more bile to digest these foods, and that may aggravate the condition.
- Spicy Food: Spicy food is not suitable for digestive system and could make situation worst. So, do not eat spicy food during and after jaundice.
- Fried food: Stop eating right now if you have jaundice. It has a terrible effect on the liver and digestive system.
- Pulses and legumes: Stop eating pulse immediately.
- Coffee: It contains caffeine which is not good for the liver, so drinking coffee if you are a coffee lover.
- Clarified Butter: Contain an unusually high amount of carbohydrate which is not appropriate for liver during Jaundice.
- Milk: Not good food during jaundice.
Best food after Jaundice Treatment
Once you recovered from jaundice, still you need to take care of your diet. Your diet should be low in carbs and protective nutrients.
- Beans: It is the excellent source is nutrients, so it will help you rebuild your strength.
- Yogurt: Eating yogurt is good for digestive system and liver.
- Cereal porridge: Best food after jaundice recovery. Cereals are rich in fiber and protective nutrients.
- Rice: As you are on back on track and also need some carbs, so rice is the most straightforward source of carbs.
- Pulses: Very high in protein, which helps to regain strength quickly.
In jaundice treatment, proper diet plan has its importance. This disease directly effects on your liver, immunity system and the digestive system. So, above food help your immunity system to regain its strength, give less stress to the liver and help the digestive system to work correctly. For better and faster jaundice cure, you must keep track of your diet and also take proper medicine.