Jaundice is a very dangerous health condition, which could damage your liver. But in fact, jaundice is not a disease itself but a symptom of underlying health condition. Most common disease caused by jaundice are hepatitis and liver damage. Other underlying disease causes of Jaundice include malaria, cirrhosis, thalassemia etc. Jaundice normally happens due to increase of bilirubin in the blood.
The right approach to cure jaundice is gone after the underlying condition caused by jaundice. If you are suffering from serious jaundice problem you should visit a doctor and should follow a healthy Diet for faster recovery. Eating right food during jaundice is equally necessary as medication. There are so many natural foods that can help to maintain your strength and improve your liver condition during jaundice.
Jaundice occurs when bilirubin level in the blood exceeds 2.5-3 mg/d. Hepatitis is one of the major causes in adults. Other causes are excessive alcohol, pancreas cancer steroids etc. in women this problem can happen because of pregnancy and birth control pills.
Jaundice mainly possess symptoms like yellowish skin and eyes. Other symptoms include abdominal discomfort, pale colored stool, and loss of appetite etc.
Jaundice Diet Chart: Food for Patients
- During the first week of jaundice, you should take only fruit juice and drink lemon water. You can take one glass juice of juices of oranges, lemons, grapes, pears, carrots, beets or sugarcane.
- After one week of only juices, you may take an all-fruit diet for further 3 to 5 days. In this short period, you may have three meals a day of fresh juicy fruits such as apples, pears, grapes, oranges, or pineapples. Note, Banana should be avoided.
After this 3 to 5 days follow the below diet chart for next one week for faster jaundice recovery.
- Breakfast: You should one fresh fruit such as apple, pear, mango, papaya, or some grapes, or berries. One cup of broken wheat or one slice of whole wheat bread.
- Lunch: Eat raw vegetable salad, a steamed leafy vegetable such as spinach, fenugreek or carrot and a glass of buttermilk. You can also take two small wheat tortilla of whole wheat flour.
- Dinner: Eat one cup of vegetable soup, two wheat tortilla of whole wheat, baked potato and one other leafy vegetable like Fenugreek seeds, spinach, etc.
In between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, you should drink one glass juice of fresh fruit or coconut water.
Note: Don’t eat fatty products for 2 to 3 weeks during and after jaundice recovery.
Food to be Take/ Eaten during Jaundice treatment
A person suffering from this disease should know what to eat and what not eat to get rid of jaundice quickly. You can take below foods during and after treatment.
- Lemon: It is advised to take a glass of lukewarm water by mixing one teaspoon of lemon juice to it is good for the liver. It contains vitamin C which helps the liver to regain its strength. Lemon water should be taken empty stomach.
- Sugarcane Juice: It is one the best food for jaundice cure. Sugarcane juice helps to maintain glucose level in the blood and also keep you hydrated. Drink one glass of sugarcane juice twice or thrice in a day. You can add a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Tomato Juice: Drink one glass of tomato juice, empty stomach in the morning is a very effective home cure for jaundice. You can add a pinch of salt and pepper to it for a better result.
- Buttermilk: Another important food for jaundice. Buttermilk help to strength your liver and improve digestion.
- Vegetable Salad: Eating fresh vegetable salad is very useful for jaundice treatment. Vegetables are rich in fiber and easy to digest.
- Almonds: Eating almonds is good for the liver because it increases the flow of blood.
- Carrot Juice: Drink carrot juice twice or thrice in a day. Alternatively, you can eat carrot as a salad.
- Radishes: They are also good for the liver and digestive system.
- Vegetable soup: You can take vegetable soup for lunch and dinner during jaundice. One cup strained the vegetable soup, two wheat tortilla of the whole meal.
- Potato: For dinner or lunch you can take baked potato and one other leafy vegetable like fenugreek seeds, spinach, etc.
- Gooseberry: Indian gooseberry contains a high amount of vitamin C, which help to improve the digestive system.
- Orange Juice: Two or three glass of orange is juice is very useful in jaundice treatment. It helps to improve your immunity system and also help to flush out harmful toxins.
- Water: Drinking more water is beneficial in to cure this Disease.
Jaundice Diet Restrictions: Food not to be eaten during Cure
There is food which can make jaundice worst, so it’s better to avoid those type of food. Food which contains a high amount of fat should be avoided.
- Eggs: Eggs contain fat and protein which is very hard to digest and that affects your digestive system.
- Meat: Any kind of meat should be avoided during jaundice at least for 2 weeks. They contain more carbohydrate and liver needs to produce more bile to digest these foods and that may aggravate the condition.
- Spicy Food: Spicy food is not good for digestive system and could make situation worst.
- Fried food: stop eating right now if you are suffering from jaundice. It has very bad effect on the liver and digestive system.
- Pulses and legumes: Stop eating pulse immediately.
- Coffee: It contains caffeine which is not good for the liver, so drinking coffee if you are a coffee lover.
- Clarified Butter: Contain a very high amount of carbohydrate which is not appropriate for liver during Jaundice.
- Milk: Not good food during jaundice.
Best food after Jaundice Treatment
Once you recovered from jaundice still you need to take care of your diet. Your diet should be low in carbs and in protective nutrients.
- Beans: It is the good source is nutrients, so it will help you rebuild your strength.
- Yogurt: Eating yogurt is good for digestive system and liver.
- Cereal porridge: Best food after jaundice recovery. Cereals are rich in fiber and protective nutrients.
- Rice: As you are on back on track and also need some carbs so rice is the simplest source of carbs.
- Pulses: Very high in protein, which helps to regains strength quickly.
In jaundice treatment, proper diet plan has its own importance. This disease directly effects on your liver, immunity system and the digestive system. So, above food help your immunity system to regain its strength, give less stress to the liver and help the digestive system to work properly. For better and faster jaundice cure, you must keep track of your diet and also take proper medicine.