How to get rid of period menstrual cramps: Menstrual cramps, also known as dysmenorrhea or period pains. This causes painful sensations in the lower abdomen that can occur both before and during a woman’s menstrual period. Menstruation is a natural process in woman’s life. But the pain can be slight or sometimes extremely severe which disrupt regular activities. Period pain can come in different forms. Most of the women complain about cramping, bloating, mood swings and excessive bleeding during menstrual. More than half of women suffer from menstrual pain, mostly unaware that natural remedies can stop Stomach and Back pain in periods.
There are two primary types of Menstrual Cramps
- Primary Menstrual Cramps: This is the most common type of period pain. It is characterized by pain in the lower abdomen (Stomach) and lower back pain. This pain starts 1-2 days before the period and lasting from 2-4 days. There is no underlying health condition which causes this pain
- Secondary Menstrual Cramps. This type of period pain occurs due to an identifiable health condition which could be endometriosis, uterine fibroids, or pelvic inflammatory disease.
Risk Factor for Menstrual Cramps (Stomach or Back pain)
Around 50% women suffer from menstrual cramps and 15-20% women complain severe pain. The study shows that woman who doesn’t exercise are more at risk to suffer painful menstrual cramps. Emotional stress is also one of the psychological factors for having uncomfortable menstrual cramps.
Women who attained puberty at the age of 11 or before also at more risk to suffer from painful periods. Apart from this, women who never given birth, younger than 20 years of age, or heavy bleeding during periods could be the risk factor for uncomfortable menstrual cramp.
The Symptoms of Menstrual Cramps
If you are having uncomfortable periods you may suffer following symptoms.
- Pain in the lower back and thighs
- Dull, throbbing, cramping pain in the lower abdomen
- Loose stools
- Bloating in the belly area
Causes: Why Menstrual Cramps (period pains) Happen?
To know why menstrual cramps occur, you should know the process first. During your each period, the uterus contracts to expel its lining if there is no sperm to fertilize. The release of a hormone called prostaglandins in this process, which is associated with pain and inflammation in higher levels. These contractions in the uterus cause you cramps.
In another way, if the uterus contracts are too strong, it can press against nearby blood vessels, cutting off the oxygen supply to the muscle tissue of the uterus. When the supply of oxygen cuts from muscle that results in pain.
Another reason behind menstrual cramps is Women with delayed sleep phase syndrome. There is few underlying medical condition which can cause you menstrual cramps like endometriosis, uterine fibroids, adenomyosis, and Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) etc.
Natural Remedies to get rid of Menstrual Cramps Period pain
If you are suffering from period pain then try below home remedies for quick pain relief.
- Essential Oils Massage for Periods Pain Relief
According to a study published in May 2012 in the Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research massaging with essential oils can stop pain during menstrual cramp. Essential oil massage can reduce the duration of the period pain by 30%.
- You can use a mixture of diluted essential oils from the end of one period to the beginning of the next. Take Lavender, clary sage, and marjoram essential oils in a 2-1-1 ratio, and dilute the essential oils to a 3 percent concentration overall in an unscented cream. Make a mixture of 3 milliliters (ml) of essential oils to 97 ml of an unscented cream.
- Heating Pad to get rid of Menstrual Cramps
Topically applied heat is a very effective home remedy for period pain. Applying heating pad is as god as ibuprofen for menstrual cramps.
- Apply heating pad on your lower back and abdomen until you feel batter. It helps to relax the contracting muscles in the uterus.
- You can take a hot shower which may help to get rid of pain and make you feel more relaxed.
- Chamomile Tea
Chamomile tea is good natural medicine for menstrual cramps. It contains glycine, an amino acid that is used to relieve muscle spasms. Chamomile also helps to relax the uterus and gives you relief from menstrual pain.
- Take one chamomile tea bag and steep in boiling water for 10 minutes. If you don’t like the taste you can add some lemon and honey to it.
Menstrual cramps can occur due to potassium deficiency and take foods rich in potassium help to get rid of the period pain. Bananas are one of the richest sources of potassium which stops the period pain. You can eat foods that contain high amounts of potassium include leafy greens like spinach, dried fruits like prunes, and white beans like lima beans to get relief from menstrual pain.
Ginger is a very effective home remedy to stop period pain. It helps to reduce the pain-causing prostaglandins. This remedy also helps to make irregular periods regular.
- Make a tea by boiling grated ginger in water for 5 minutes. Add honey and lemon juice to it after straining. Drink this remedy three times in a day during your menstrual cycle.
Check Out: How to Increase Breast Size Naturally
Another good remedy to get rid of period pain. It has antispasmodic, anticlotting and anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce period pain. Cinnamon is an excellent source of dietary fiber, calcium, iron, and manganese which help in relieving menstrual pain.
- Take one-fourth teaspoon of cinnamon powder and boil in a cup of water for 5 minutes. You can add honey for taste. Take this remedy just before one day before your period starts.
- During the first day of your menstrual cycle, you can drink cinnamon and honey mixture. Add a half teaspoon of cinnamon and honey in one cup of hot water. Drink this mixture 2-3 times in a day.
- Blackstrap Molasses to get rid of Stomach or Back pain
Blackstrap molasses is another wonderful remedy for menstrual cramps relief. It is a good source of calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, manganese, and vitamin B6 which helps to reduce blood clots and relax the uterus.
- Take a cup of milk and add one teaspoon of blackstrap molasses. Drink this remedy as soon as you start having cramps until you get rid of menstrual cramps.
Basil is very effective natural herb for get rid of menstrual cramps Pain treatment. It contains caffeic acid which has analgesic, or pain-killing properties and helps to get rid of menstrual cramps.
- Make an herbal basil tea by adding one teaspoon basil leaves into one cup of hot boiling water. Cover it well and let it cool down. Drink this remedy in every 2-3 hours.
- Extract two teaspoon juice from fresh basil leaves and mix with one cup of hot water. Drink this remedy 3-4 times in a day to get fast relief from menstrual cramps.
The simplest remedy to reduce menstrual Stomach or Back pain. Papaya contains nutrients like carotene, iron, calcium and vitamins A and C that help relax the uterine walls and ease muscle contractions.
- Eat papaya just before and during your menstrual period.
Another good natural herb for Stomach pain relief during period. It has compounds like apiol and myristicin, which are highly effective at stimulating the menstrual process and stopping menstrual cramps.
- Take one-fourth cup of fresh parsley and pour one cup of boiling water. Let it steep for five minutes and strain the solution. Drink this home remedy twice in a day during menstruation to ease period pain.
Painful periods (Menstrual Cramps) with Blood Clots
Blood Clotting during menstruation can also cause you menstrual cramps. Blood clots normally don’t cause you any problem but sometimes due to heavy bleeding can lead you to painful periods. Your body normally releases anticoagulants which keep menstrual blood from clotting. But if you are suffering from heavy and blood is being rapidly expelled. In this case, anticoagulants don’t have enough time to work which causes blood clots.
Note: If you are having excessive clotting or clots larger than a quarter during period, you should see your doctor.
- Also Read: 10 Natural Ways to Postpone Periods
Yoga Exercise & Sleep to Get Rid Of Period Pain & menstrual cramps
- Exercise: Doing light workout daily can help to get rid of menstrual Back ot stomach pain and also help regulate irregular cycles. Exercise strength your body and get you prepare for the period. It stretches the muscles and tissues that might be cramping and causing the pain. Daily exercise also relaxes you from stress which can cause you hormone disturbance. Jogging or a long walk is a good way to stop the menstrual pain.
- Yoga to ease the menstrual pain: Doing yoga daily is very beneficial for reducing menstrual pain. Yoga offers the exercise, stretching, relaxation time and meditation. It can also help regulate the irregular period cycle.
- Sleep: Sleeping is a good way to reduce stress and avoid hormone disturbance. It is a vital component to pain reduction. It is recommended if a woman suffering from menstrual pain should get more than 8 hours sleep just before one week of her menstruation.
Ayurvedic Medicine for Menstrual or Periods Pain Relief
- Pradarantak Churna: It is very beneficial ayurvedic medicine for ovarian cysts and also useful for the treatment of painful menstrual cramps. Take 1 tablespoon of this churna twice daily with plain water.
- Shatavari Powder: This powder is useful to relieve pains and controls blood loss during menstruation. Take 2 tablespoons of this powder by mixing with a cup of milk.
- Divya Stri Rasayan Vati: Another wonderful herbal remedy that gives quick relief from discomfort felt during the menstrual period. This remedy is made by Baba Ramdev especially for menstrual cramps stomach pain relief.